Tuesday 1 December 2015

Tutorial - Making a Distressed Layered Card - Andrea

This is the finished card which I'm going to show you how to make in steps below.
The image I've used is Little Star available on Etsy - coloured in pastel shades with ProMakers
I've then picked my design papers out this is the larger set


And these are the smaller sets.  All the design papers have been cut so the backing sheets are half a centimetre larger than the one to be placed on top.  You can see what I mean better in my first lot of layering in the 7th photo.


The strange looking circular object is a distressing tool from Tim Holtz and can be bought from most good craft places.
And here I'll give you a tale.  I went to a local shop and saw distressed cards and thought they looked amazing.  When I asked about how they were done I was told it's a skill but no other details were disclosed.  Well I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be a "skill" - you can get a tool which will do it for you :D

See this is what it does - but be warned if you've not used this tool before - it's extremely messy.

Here I've piled up all my layers so you can see what they look like before they're mounted onto the card.

This is my first lot of layers.  The first design paper is mounted directly onto card and they yo've got the first double layer.  You can see the effect that cutting the top layer half a centimetre smaller than the underlying layer has better now.

I've then mounted two more layers at angles and over the top of each other.

This is a strip of design paper cut with a Martha Stewart punch to create a fancy border.  I've also put this at an angle to the rest of the layers.

On top of this I've added some straight lace.  I tried to use some shaped lace but it took away the effect of the punched border.

This is a close up of the starts I made.  The backing is grunge board from Tim Holtz.  I've used gesso, pink acrylic paint, lot of loose DecoArt glitter and some DecoArt crackle paste.  You can see the effect the crackle paste has better on the larger star.  You can also bring that effect out more by adding some darker ink and rubbing it over the top of the paste when its dry.

So here you have the final card.  I added the larger star.  Then I put some sticky dots onto the back of the double image layer to raise it up to the same level as the star and the lace panel.  Onto this I added the smaller star and rhine stone (to cover the glue dot up shhh...)

I then put the pearl gems on and added the pearl string

Hope you found my breakdown of how to make a card like this useful
If we see lots more we know it has been :D
Andrea x
All Dressed Up Design Team

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Andrea, and love those distressed layers.xx { aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it Annie. I distress my edges with a wee scissors but it doesn't look this good. May need to invest in one of those wee things! X

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous s beautiful inspiration hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial .... thank you ... I have yet to use a distress tool .... I think I might need one now ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful image and card, I've recently attempted a distressed layer, with scissors, this looks easier. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete